We are getting an increasing number of enquiries about the correct process for Autumn bowling green maintenance at the moment.
Here are my top 10 tips for autumn maintenance:
- DO NOT TOPDRESS
- Remove as much thatch as possible.
- Create air space in the top 100mm of the green
- Relieve Compaction
- Treat LDP by applying wetting agent
- Renovate heads to ensure recovery for next year
- Improve CEC on overly sandy soils by introducing zeolite
- Boost potassium levels
- If over-seeding, also give some Phosphorous
- Draw up a program of work to carry on right through the winter months. Don’t “put your green to bed”