This is an encouraging question that has cropped up a few times in the searches that brought new visitors to the site.
The answer is not straightforward, but if I was to advise a group on this I would suggest the following first steps:
- Make it a community re-generation project and involve as many different groups as possible.
- Aim to revive a derelict green that is no longer in use as this will always be a better proposition than building from scratch with regard to time, cost and post construction difficulties; see here.
- Download the Manifesto for a Successful Bowling Club here.
- Consider where your income will come from and how you will keep things moving ahead positively; in other words create a project or business plan. Details here.
- Think about how you will encourage the local community to become involved, see here.
- Involve the local council to help you tap into any free resources and help there might be for community projects.